Here in Somerset, we’ve been enjoying some real scorchers in recent weeks, which has been perfect for the start of the school holidays. Your entries for July’s Family Foodies challenge have proven simply perfect inspiration for deliciously refreshing ways to chill out in this sticky heat.
It’s always hard to predict what the weather might have in store for us Brits in July. It ought to be a month of long, hot, lazy days, of trips to the seaside, cheering the kids on at their school sports days and keeping the ants off the sarnies on those impromptu picnics in the park.
In reality though, it’s very often about trying to the stop the children jumping in puddles wearing only sandals (I know, there’s really no point), countless games of cards to stop everyone getting cabin fever and spontaneous visits to museums and art galleries to escape the rain.
But ever the optimist, I’m holding out for July being a gloriously golden, sunshiny month where sunscreen and sun hats are the order of the day.
So that’s why this month’s Family Foodies challenge has the theme Chill Out, Baby! We’re calling for your tasty eats and drinks for chilling out and cooling down in the summer sun: tempting icy treats suitable for the whole family. From frozen ice creams and sorbets to refreshing salads and smoothies, we can’t wait to see your recipes for chilled and frosty delights to tantalise our taste buds while cooling our heated brows.
As usual, we have a prize for the overall winner and this month we are giving away a copy of Celebrity Masterchef winner, Lisa Faulkner’s fabulous cookbook Recipes from my Mother for my Daughter. Not bad, eh?
To get the ball rolling, I’m entering my elderflower cordial, which I posted on the blog a couple of days ago. Mixed with fizzy water and lots of ice, it’s my idea of the perfect summer cooler.
But it’s your ideas, we really want to hear about…
Family Foodie Entry Guidelines:
- You may submit any recipe on your blog that fits this month’s theme, new or from the archive, and there is a limit of three entries per blogger. You’re also welcome to submit the post to other challenges too. If the recipe is not your own, please give the appropriate credit.
- Send your recipe URL to me at vanesther-at-reescommunications-dot-co-dot-uk, including your own email address and the title of your recipe or post. The closing date this month is Tuesday 29 July 2014.
- Display the Family Foodies badge (below) on your recipe post, with a link back to both Eat Your Veg and Bangers & Mash, as well as details of this month’s challenge.
- If you’re on Twitter, then please tweet your post to myself @BangerMashChat and Lou @Eat_Your_Veg and include the hashtag #FamilyFoodies. We’ll retweet all that we see.
- You may enter from anywhere in the blogosphere, but prizes can only be posted out to UK addresses.
- At the end of the month a guest judge will choose a winning recipe. The winner will be announced in a monthly round-up of all the entries. Winners will get to display a Family Foodie Winner annotated badge on their blog if they wish and their recipe will go through to the Family Foodies Hall of Fame on each of our sites.
- All entries will be added to the Family Foodies Pinterest Group Board.
Any questions, do drop me an email at the address above.
- Elderflower Cordial from Bangers & Mash
- Lime Ice Cream in a Ginger Snap Crust from Selma’s Table
- No-churn Raspberry Swirl Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Fino Sherry from Selma’s Table
- Banana Split Milkshake from Home Cook Food
- Chickoo Kulfi – Sapota Indian Ice Cream from Home Cook Food
- Mango Coolatta and Pineapple Coolatta from Home Cook Food
- Four Fruity Frozen Treats from Family – Friends – Food
- Raspberry, Banana and Coconut Ice Lollies from Sneaky Veg
- Strawberry Mousse from Self Sufficient Cafe
- Salted Caramel Coffee Cooler from The Crafty Larder
- Quick and Easy Gazpacho from Bangers & Mash
- Frozen Peach Yoghurt & Oaty Crumb Topping from Tales From the Kitchen Shed
- Homemade Yoghurt from Tales from the Kitchen Shed
- Raspberry Ripple-White Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream Bars & Bites from The Gluten Free Alchemist
- Chicken, Goat’s Cheese & Avocado Salad from Mad Avocado
- Instant Choc-Ana Ice Cream from Eat Your Veg
- Vegan and Raw Raspberry Ice-cream from Allotment 2 Kitchen
- Strawberry & Rose Ice Cream Soda from Bangers & Mash
- Chocolate Blackcurrant Sundae from Chocolate Log Blog