I’ve really enjoyed the ‘summer spice’ recipe inspiration arriving in my inbox during July in response to last month’s Spice Trail challenge. So much so, I’ve decided to extend the theme into August.
OK, so I’m calling it the Beach Barbecue challenge this month, but it’s pretty much the same thing. I’m looking for your spicy recipes that would be perfect for the beach, or the barbecue or both. Or spicy recipes that you can cook up on a rainy, wet, miserable day that magically transport you to an idyllic beach paradise…
As with last month, any spice goes. Your dish could be meat or vegetarian, sweet or savoury – just so long as it conjures up images of cloudless skies, palm trees, turquoise seas, gentle waves lapping on the shore, ukulele-playing Jack Johnson look-alikes serenading me from his hammock and… Sorry! Enough of my own personal fantasies! Deliciously spicy food you could cook on the beach barbie or serve alongside, that’s essentially what I’m after. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!
Win a copy of Nigella Summer
In addition to being crowned King or Queen of the Beach Barbecue, the winner of August’s Spice Trail challenge will win a copy of Nigella Lawson’s Nigella Summer (previously published as Forever Summer).
From Coconut and Chilli Salmon Kebabs and Corsican Omelette to Soba Noodles with Sesame Seeds and Slut Red Raspberries in Chardonnay Jelly, Nigella Summer is chock full of sensational summer dishes that bring the sunshine into the kitchen all year round.
So what dish will you enter?
How to enter The Spice Trail
- Display the The Spice Trail badge (above and also available here) on your recipe post, and link back to this challenge post.
- Up to three recipe links accepted per blogger, so long as they each one has a Beach Barbecue theme and features at least one spice.
- Feel free to link up recipe posts from your archive, but please add the information about this challenge to the post and The Spice Trail badge.
- Send your recipe URL to me at vanesther-at-reescommunications-dot-co-dot-uk, including your own email address and the title of your recipe or post. The closing date this month is Sunday 31 August 2014.
- If you tweet your post, please mention #TheSpiceTrail and me @BangerMashChat in your tweet and I’ll retweet each one I see.
- As entries come in, links to these will be added to the bottom of this page.
- At the end of the month a guest judge will choose a winning recipe and the winner this month will receive a copy of Nigella Summer.
- The winner will be announced in a monthly round-up of all the entries.
- Entries from bloggers all around the world are accepted, but unfortunately the prize can only be shipped to a UK address.
- All entries will be added to The Spice Trail Pinterest Board.
And thanks to everyone who entered July’s Summer Spice challenge – the round-up and winner announcement will be coming shortly.
- Mandi’s Best Jerk Chicken from Mad Avocado
- French Bean, Tomato & Cumin Salad from Lancashire Food
- Chicken Kebabs Takeaway Style from Tales from the Kitchen Shed
- Chipotle Chicken Kebabs with Avocado Cream Sauce from A Girl Eats World
- Sri Lankan Chilli Coconut Runner Bean Pie from Allotment 2 Kitchen
- Grilled Salad of Courgette, Chicory, Basil and Mozzarella from Bangers & Mash
- Spiced Roasted Summer Vegetable Salad with Millet, Peas and Lentils from Chocolate Log Blog
- Middle Eastern Spiced Camp Fire Chickpeas from Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary
- Garden Tomato Salad with Olives, Greek Basil & Sumac from Family-Friends-Food
- Tomato and Nigella Seed Bread Rolls from Searching for Spice
- Nobbly Bobbly Spiced Chocolate Biscoff Fruit & Nut Crispy Cake Bites from Family-Friends-Food
- Sweet Chilli Turkey Burgers from Caroline Makes
- Mexican Salsa Verde with Tomatillos and Pineapple from Bangers & Mash
- Griddled Squash with Feta, Mint and Chilli from Bangers & Mash